Friday, November 1, 2013

"In the Beginning.....," Part 1

When it comes to counsel gaming I pretty much dropped out of that world between 1994 and 1999. I outgrew my NES and got into the wonderful world of PC gaming. Of course had I known the pitfalls of constenly having to cut open the PC to upgrade this that or that next thing, I might have stuck with counsel gaming.

So basically I was around when the SNES arrived on the scene. My brother in law had one and I spent hours playing F-Zero, Super Mario, Pilot Wings, some sort of Football game, and Star Fox on it. But I wanted flight sims and strategy games and the only way to get then was on PC. 

I was always aware of the whole Sega vs Nintendo thing going on. I didn't really care though, I was a PC gamers I was above it all. But, at the same time I had to admit there where some pretty cool games coming out on both platforms, and 16-bit had a lot going for it. 



Flash forward to 2013, and I get into retro gaming. I want to get an SNES but as significantly cheaper then they where when they came out, they are still a little more then I want to spend on eBay and frankly I can't find one with what I want. So I decide what the heck, I'll look into a Sega Genesis. 

In the US the retro community loves its Nintendo, but does at times give Sega done props, especially the Genesis. Now keep on mind I'm not to familiar with Sega. I know games like Sonic, Altered Beast, and a few more, but as for the system nothing. But, I decide to take a chance, and look up a Genesis on eBay. 

Luck was on my side that week since Sega Genesis where for whatever reason trending fairly low price wise. That week there where averaging $30 plus shipping, not bad considering SNES's where trending at twice as much. But then I found a diamond in the rough. A new to eBay seller with a Genesis of a $1 starting bid, 4 days into the auction, and $15 shipping. Plus, it came with 2 controllers, the RF adaptor, and 6 Sonic games. 

Is this a deal to good to be true? Find out in part 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment